This week it was announced that Jesse Rath (Brainy) was being bumped to series regular status while Jeremy Jordan (Winn Schott) was bumped down to recurring status. The season finale set up why.
But before we get to all of that, Reign has begun the terraforming and Supergirl, Mon-el, Guardian, Alex and Alura are rushing around National City to get people to safety and rescue people. And how cool is it to see Erica Durance get to display Krytonian powers like flight and heat vision. The last time we got to see that was as Lois Lane in Smallville season 10’s “Prophecy” where Lois got Clark’s powers for the day.
Also coming into help are Imra and Brainy who received Mon El’s beacon just before it got destroyed on Argo.
The terraforming does stop thanks to M’yrnn’s sacrifice. But before M’yrnn sacrifices himself, he imparts one last memory to J’onn and the two say goodbye.
The Krytonian witches are miffed that they’ve been thwarted and look to summon Reign again who is trapped in Earth’s core. While they are doing their chants, Colville uses his last dying breath to use J’onn’s ship to send out a distress signal.
Meanwhile, Sam is still in the Dark Valley and sees what she thinks is a vision of her adopted mom, Patricia. Patricia apologizes for being a bad mother to Sam and wants to make amends. Sam doesn’t quite believe what she is seeing thinking it is some sort of trick. However, Patricia does lead Sam to drink from the correct fountain that gives her the strength she needs to take down Reign.
Being alerted to the Kryptonian witches location, a game plan is devised that involves killing Reign. Kara tells the group that she doesn’t kill but Alura and J’onn tell her that sometimes you have to do the unthinkable when it is the only option.
So the Martian Manhunter, Mon-el, Supergirl and Alura arrive to the witches location. J’onn manages to subdue one witch while Alura takes on Selena. Their fight kind of reminds of the fights that Erica Durance used to do as Lois on Smallville.
Reign uses her Canary cry to subdue J’onn, Mon-el and Alura while keeping Kara in a choke hold. Reign taunts Kara saying no one is strong enough to defeat her. Enter Sam, who has emerged from the Dark Valley a full Kryptonian. Sam uses the Kryptonian sword to stab Reign in the back. Kara then punches Reign into the tunnel to the Earth’s core. Just before Reign gets swallowed up into its vortex, she uses her heat vision to kill Sam, Alura and Mon-el who pushed J’onn out of the way to take the blast.
J’onn awakens and Kara rushes to his side taking in her surroundings and the loss that is around her. Kara feels guilt that she went against her code of ethics and resulted in some much death. Kara decides to use Mon-el Legion ring to go back in time to fix things. And my first thought is, don’t you learn anything from Barry about time travel.
Kara goes back to the point where Reign has her in a chokehold and stops Sam from stabbing her alter ego. Instead, they use the black rock to take the three of them to the Dark Valley. Once there, Kara forces Reign to drink from the other side of the fountain that weakens her and she is soon taken away by Dementors (seriously that is what they look like to me).
Back at the DEO, Sam is fully human again and Ruby thanks Alex and Lena for all they’ve done for her mom. And is this the last we’ve seen of Odette Annable as Sam? Hope not, Annable was a nice addition to the show and really liked her dynamic with Emma Tremblay who played Ruby. Is it possible Annable stays on as a potential love interest for Alex?
Speaking fo Alex, her desire to be a mom is strong as ever and she shares how much she wants to be a mom with Lena. Later, Alex tries to quit the DEO so she can no longer put her life in danger so that motherhood can be a possibility. J’onn refuses her resignation but instead promotes her as director as the DEO as he steps down to follow in his father’s footsteps. With Alex being director means she no longer has to be in the field.
- James revealed himself to the public as Guardian
- Mon-el and Imra come to an understanding and break up. You would think that this paves the way for Mon-el to stay with Kara but Brainy tells him that the future needs him because a previous incarnation of Brainiac is out to destroy all the AIs. Because of this Brainy has to stay behind.
- Mon-el tells Kara how she has to go back and she tells him how much she admires him.
- Brainy has also told Winn that the future needs him and that the shield belt he invented helped save millions of lives. So after much deliberation, Winn is off to be Legionnaire and into the 31st Century but not before a farewell party where he says his goodbyes to J’onn, James, Alex and Kara.
- Also, Kara has decided to stay on Earth as its protector and how Earth has become her home.
- Alura tells Kara how proud she is of her and departs back to Argo with Selena and the witches who will receive a just trial. And I am so grateful the show didn’t kill of Alura. This means there is potential for Erica Durance to come back to the show in the future.
- Lena gives Alura a case with the black rock and the recipe to make more. Alura tells Kara and Lena how grateful she is that there will be no black rock left on Earth. Of course, you just know that Lena has kept a piece and we see her call Eve to say they are ready to proceed with Phase 2
- Back at Kara’s, Alex is thankful that her sister has decided to remain on Earth
And just when it looks like season 3 is wrapping up nicely with no real loss (except for M’yrnn), you wonder what season 4 is going to look like we flash back to 48 hours earlier when Kara grabbed the black rock to take her, Sam and Reign to the Dark Valley. We then are at the Siberian border where guards are en route to intercept and naked woman wrapped in a cloak. As the woman walks up towards the guard, we see that it is Kara.
So I am presuming that this is the Kara that got split from touching the rock. Makes me wonder which version of Kara this is: an evil version or a human version. I am intrigued to see where the show is going with this.