Next week is Fan Expo Vancouver 2017 and Pop Goes The World spoke with Andrew Moyes, vice president of FAN EXPO HQ to give us a preview at what to expect at this year’s show held at the Vancouver Convention Centre..
“The biggest thing is the guest list,” said Moyes. “It is a phenomenal offering, for a broad cross-section of fandoms, leading with Grant Gustin and the supporting cast of The Flash.”
Moyes added that this year’s show has strong cast participation from the shows that film in Vancouver. In addition to The Flash, Moyes mentioned the show will feature cast members from Arrow and iZombie.
“We have Rose McIver and Rahul Kohli and we are seeing if we can get other cast members to join them.” he said. In fact, after our interview, Fan Expo Vancouver announced that Malcolm Goodwin (Clive) and Robert Buckley (Major) will be joining their panel that happens on Sunday, November 12 at 2:30 pm at Ballroom A. Aly Michalka was also previously announced as a guest.
With these cast panels, Moyes said it is great to see them not only engage with each other but celebrate the show and fans as well.
“There are a range of shows being represented from current shows, new shows, old favorites and retro favourites like the Canadian classic Degrassi Junior High,” he added.
Not only are there tons of panels to check out, Moyes wants to make sure fans check out a “great show floor, full of diverse exhibitors.”
This includes the new Time Travelers Bazaar which has Stem Punk-themed programming and exhibitors.
Outside of the cast panels, Moyes said people should also see Henry Winkler’s panel taking place Sunday, November 12 at 1pm in Ballroom A.
“Seeing him would be awesome. He puts on a great show for his fans,” he added.
Here are other panels Moyes things people should check out over the weekend:
- Legends of Indie Comics. When: Friday, November 10 at 5:15pm in Meeting Room 11
- Steampunk Parasole versus Nerf Gun Dueling. When: Friday, November 10 at 5:30pm in Meeting Room 2
- Twisted Toonz Presents: Voice Actor Live Script Reading of the Princess Bride. When: Saturday November 11 at 5:30pm in Ballroom A. “[They are] interpreting the characters with their prowess as voice actors,” Moyes noted.
- Improv Against Humanity Improv Show. When: Saturday, November 11 at 5:00pm in Meeting Room 1
- Humberto Ramos versus Francisco Herrera Sketch Duel. When: Saturday, November 11 at 11am in Meeting Room 11. Moyes added that people who attend the sketch duels get a change to win the drawings.
“We are just scratching the surface with a broad cross-section of offerings. There is a gold mine of hidden gems,” said Moyes. “We are paying homage to all sorts of genres. Even if you are a comic fans, you can check out Steam Punk, or an anime panel. This is how we create multi-genre fans and [Fan Expo Vancouver] is a true celebration of all things pop culture with fans celebrating with each other.”
And to ensure everyone has a great time, Moyes offered some tips and tricks.
“Wear comfortable shoes, bring your camera, it is going to be a visual extravaganza, and bring a water bottle just to stay hydrated.”
For more information on Fan Expo Vancouver including tickets, full schedules, Cosplay rules and Exhibitor listing, visit: http://fanexpovancouver.com/.
Fan Expo Vancouver 2017 runs from November 10 to 12 at the Vancouver Convention Center.